Brian Whatcott

Default Sizing Hydraulic Rams

I was unwise to attempt to help on the basis of too little
information. I hope that Glenn can visualize this
arrangement better.
But better yet would be a diagram to put in front of a person
familar with hydraulic steering layouts, I'd think.

Brian W

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:31:19 -0000, "garry crothers"
wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something in my calculation, taken from Vetus calalogue
I had contemplated using approx 20cm brackets set back from the pintels by
same 20cm distance.
(using Vetus MTC72 ram with a stroke of 225mmm I would need 196mm lever to
give me 2 x 35 degree rotation of rudder)

Area of rudder 0.69 m2
Max Speed 16 Kmh
Force on rudder = 23.3 X 0.69 x (16 x 16)
approx 4000N

Torque = Force on Rudder x Lever.
4000 x 0.2
800Nm

This figure is just outside of the rated capacity of the MTC72, thats why I
was asking if I used two Rams , one on each side of the rudder, can I divide
the torque required by 2.

///
garry