Larry Larry is offline

Default Batteries - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising these days

Brian Whatcott wrote in
:

I wonder if, could it
be? that reclaimed oil makes the same nose?
If so, count me in!

Brian W

Some people claim they can smell french fries, but I can't. The oil is
very clean burning. Whatever liquids are attached to the oil we don't
separate them. There's no water in the oil as it all boils off in the
deep fat fryers that sit there for hours. We filter down to .5 microns,
which will easily flow through the injection nozzles. I've never had a
clog from it in the years I've used it that way.

The oil, itself, still has that "burned" smell of used deep fat fryer
oil. There's a mix of Canola and other vegetable oils in what we get.
It doesn't seem to matter from batch to batch where it came from, as long
as it will burn at 22:1 compression we're fine.

One of the engines we're supplying had 220K miles on it and had an
overhaul after about 80K on the oil. Nothing unusual was seen in the
engine, to the mechanic's amazement. He'd been reading oil company
propaganda saying it would destroy the engine, which is simply not true.
Their reason for the lie is fairly obvious. There was no unusual coking,
stuck rings, etc. from burning it. It burns very clean and you have to
really work hard to get it to smoke on hard acceleration, unlike dino
fuel oils.

Burning slower, and it does burn much slower, there's much less knocking,
which has got to be easier on all the pressure induced stresses on
pistons, bearings, rods, crank. There's not as much power so there's not
as much stress. My '83 300TD wagon is on 247K miles and still runs fine,
except for top gear on the transmission shifting a little soft these days
before the worn clutches finally hold solid, but that has to be expected
at a quarter million miles...(c;

Sure lets you keep your wallet fuller of those faux Fed banknotes we pass
off as "money" on the world.

.....oh, back on topic....wetcell batteries are best....