William R. Watt

Default Large rowboat for large family

"Paul Squire" ) writes:

So I am open to suggestions for a basic flat-bottomed, single sideplank
rowing sharpie, probably about 20' long.

If you have Basic on your computer you can copy a free program from my
website to try different dimensions of flat bottom sharpie skiff. Go to
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Boats.htm and scroll down until you see the skiff
program. There are two files to copy, a text file of instructions, and a
text file containing the Basic program.

Another option is to down load the Carlson Hull program, load up one of
the sharpie examples, and use the scaling feature to play with the length
and width until you get a boat that will carry your load with sufficently
shallow draft. Its at www.carlsondesign.com.

But note in the instructions to my program what Chapelle wrote about the
underwater shape of a shrarpie skiff to keep rowing from being "heavy".

I hope some of those kids are old enough to pull on an oar.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm