Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] is offline

Default Tolman to Bimini?

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:35:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Bimini is only 48 nm from Miami and from there most runs are short.
It is the 48 nm run across the Gulf Stream that concerns me in the
Tolman. What do y'all think?

I haven't attempted that passage nor would I do it in a 20 footer.

However, I have read about passages to Bimini in 20 foot boats and I
understand it's not all that uncommon.

As I understand it, the passage can be very tricky and you should have
a gps/chartplotter, charts and at a minimum, enough safety gear to
survive if something happens. You will be crossing the Gulf Stream
and that is the worlds second most powerful open ocean current.

Harry mentioned flotilla and that seems to be the preferred method
according to this website.

http://www.biminicruisingguide.com/

So it's doable. You also have to pay a landing fee when you get there
- I don't know how much it is - something I read said $100 dollars but
I'm not at all sure abot that. Be prepared to be searched on return
or a minimum stopped.