HK HK is offline

Default Tolman to Bimini?

wrote:
I've been wanting to sail to teh Bahamas from NW FL (near Carabelle)
but I realize that maybe a power boat would be better. I could
trailer my 20' Tolman Standard to Miami and then take her across to
Bimini. The Tolman would give better access to the cool places with
shallow water than the sailboat. I have outfitted the Tolman with a
full enclosure (removable) for camping. I have a 90 hp Yamaha and 9.9
hp backup.
However, the Tolman has only a 12.5 degree deadrise so she does pound
in any chop. The advice I see on the web is to go in Summer due to
low seas but being a FL native I know Summer is miserably hot and
would prefer Spring.
Bimini is only 48 nm from Miami and from there most runs are short.
It is the 48 nm run across the Gulf Stream that concerns me in the
Tolman. What do y'all think?

It's a risky trip in any 20' boat. If you decide you have to do it, try
to accompany a small flotilla of boats so that if you have a problem,
help is within close sight.

I used to go as far as 20-25 miles out into the Atlantic from St.
Augustine and Jacksonville on occasion in an 18' outboard boat, but I
never went out there as a single boat.

People attempt that trip you have in mind frequently. Most make it, but
some do not.

Do you have a decent chart, GPS and compass? Bimini is not a large
target. Using the chart from the local seafood restaurant is not
advisable! :)