RLM RLM is offline

Default Diesel fuel additives

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:59:30 -0400, Ed wrote:

"Bryan" wrote in message
Anyone have good or bad experiences with diesel fuel additives? 10 years
ago, the local Volvo dealer recommended using one for keeping water from
building up and bugs from growing in the fuel. My brother-in-law just
bought a boat with a 480 hp Cummins with less than 200 hours on it.
Recommendations?

I used to use Biobor for many years with no problems but my fuel company
adds valvetec now (at $4/gallon I should get something....) It is only
good for about 6 mos so if you have a long hot layup you have to re-dose.
Also... if the boat has NOT had the additive in it and you initial dose it
you can clog up a bunch of filters (assuming you have a green tank now) so
I would suggest dosing it, having a 1/2 dozen or so filters ready and don't
go to far offshore in the first week or so. your engine will probably take
2-5 times the fuel it needs and it will return it to the tank so if you burn
1/4 tank of fuel you probably recirced most of the fuel.

Oh... I am assuming you are south.... if not, make sure you ask around the
docks... every area is different.

Only thing I would add to Ed's post is check out a fuel polishing system
that involves a day tank to recirculate the fuel if he isn't using it regularly.
http://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+...ient=firefox-a