posted to rec.boats.electronics
Mas Dubh Mas Dubh is offline

Default Interface issues

On 2008-06-15 19:49:36 +0100, (Luc
Habert) said:

3 wires? Normally, there are 2 nmea wires per device. Is one of the data
wires shared with the ground?

Sorry not clear enough the the Navman 3100 repeater has the
following wires:-
Red: +ve 12v
Black: -ve and common nmea
Orange and Blue: navbus + /- not used
White: nmea input 1 - (think I used this one as a logical step)
Yellow: nmea input 2
Green: nmea input 3

No mention in the bumpf of nmea (0183) speed! It can theoreticaly take
the sentences I am interested in repeating depth (DPT), speed (VHW),
current set (VDR) and a few others.
There is only the need for 2 listeners - at the moment. The primary one
is the DSC VHF which is fully functional and the secondary is the
Navman 3100 repeater which I should like to display as much of the info
the laptop is getting or producing.
In terms of listeners baudrate the Navman 7200 dsc vhf nmea is 4800 and
I assume (eek!) that the Navman 3100 repeater is the same.
I will clarify if it is critical which nmea input wire is used for
discriminating between sentences (maybe picky?) and required rate for
the 3100.

CNP has the facility to send out instructions to autohelms and the
sentences are nmea e.g. BOD, HDG etc.. so thats reassuring.

I should also like to send waypoint and routes to the Garmin via NDC4
(that may be a hassle switching from nmea to Garmin protocols) from the
Tosh or maybe to the 3100 repeater if it's more legible and simpler.

That's my wish list! Am I expecting too much?

The paralleling up of listeners is reassuring - I did read it in the
Actisense stuff now you mention it.

The great thing about this newsgroup stuff is your never alone and your
experience is very often never unique - especially farting about with
this sort of gear and not noticing it's going dark through the cabin
windows! Thanks for the offer of the code translator - I should like to
have a decko at it to see how it works. Take the pa out of my address
above if you wouldn't mind.