garry crothers

Default Sizing Hydraulic Rams

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:vItDb.5348$JD6.3954@lakeread04...
I am not visualizing what you are either. In your original post you
were talking about a transom mounted rudder and hydraulic steering. To
me that usually means a power boat with the hydraulics mounted on the
transom. Maybe you should explain exactly what you have and what you
are trying to do. If this is a sailboat with a tiller why are you going
through the hassle of hydraulic steering?

I am talking about a sailboat., 18,000lbs, 33ft , double ended, with a barn
door for an external rudder. (Notice I didnt use the word transom, I
thought I was simplfying things by describing a transom hung rudder, but
obviously not)

So what I was envisaging was two rams mounted either side of the rudder,
mounted one end on the hull, running aft, to a fixing bracket on either side
of the rudder.

The reason I am contemplating this hydraulic solution, is that the wheel
steering solution using cables that I currently have is rather in-elegant
:)

I do have an emergency tiller that fits on the top of the rudder stock, but
for long journeys, or heavy weather the tiller is way too much work.

regards
garry