posted to rec.boats.building
Jay Chan Jay Chan is offline

Default Apply Epoxy to the Cuts in Scored Core Material

On Jun 13, 8:19*pm, wrote:
I do not know what you try to do, but base on my experience the gaps
supposed to hallow/empty. What is my experience ? I built 38ft
sailboat Spray.
I use corecell as a sandwich construction. The idea was to keep
sandwich as light as possible. After corecell was installed I used
very light putty – to fill gaps only on the top.
Next was sanding and on the top fibreglass with resin.
In short – do not fill the gaps with resin.
I hope it helps.
Mada

I read that article one more time, and I think you are right to say
that
we don't need to apply epoxy mixture into the cuts of a scored
Corecell
core material. The author of that article said that he needed to
apply
epoxy mixture into the cuts because he was using balsa core (that can
rot); by filling the cuts in a balsa core, he can prevent water from
easily
spreading from one area of the balsa core to the next area just in
case
water finds its way into the core. Seem like this is not an issue
with
core made from man-made material such as Corecell. Good, this means
I can skip this step.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jay Chan