Brian Whatcott

Default Looking for free boat plans...

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:29:32 -0500, "Jacques Mertens"
wrote:

"William R. Watt" wrote in message
I thought all designers ripped off other people's designs.
That's what boat designers do.
Can anyone name anyone who has designed a boat with no research or
study of other people's boats?

I once walked in a major (and I mean major) designer's office while they
were working on the concept drawings of a new boat.
There were plans and pictures all over the place, they had graphs of data
about other boats and a list of desired features mostly referring to other
designs.
I would not trust a design that is not based on research and data compiled
from previous designs.///

At least one aircraft design handbook on my shelf lists dozens of
comparables for different light aircraft. Wing area? Tail moment?
Tail volume? Power to weight?

That's doesn't stop a designer placing the main wing aft - like
Vari-Viggen. But guess where that idea originated?
Not with the Viggen, for sure....

Brian W