William R. Watt

Default Marchaj fishing boat data?

Rodney Myrvaagnes ) writes:
Since an explicit assumption of the study was that fishermen would not
be willing to learn to sail, the results could hardly be useful to
anyone who has done so.

What have you found informative in "Sail Performance"? I have all the
background to read it easily but found nothing useful.

I'm interested in the scalable coefficeints for lift and drag and the
numbers which can be found from then, particualry the coefficient of heel
which I would like to compare to the righting moment of my design to see
how much sail the boat might carry, and at approximately what wind speed
it would have to be reefed. The study had 4 sprit sails of different
aspect ratios. It would be interesting to see the numbers for some of the
other sails as well. "Sail Performance" shows the polar diagram for one
sprit sail and references some publications which may or may not have the
complete data. Before looking for any of those publications I'd like to
know if anyone has seen them and can say of one or the other contains the
complete set of data. It would be nice if the data were in an online file
somewhere but a search didn't turn up anything.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm