Robert M. Gary Robert M. Gary is offline

Default Base timing vs. ignition timing

Reading my shop manual for my 4.3L 190hp carb'd Merc I see that it
describes setting the "base timing" as well as the "ignition timing".
Both procedures look almost the same so what is the difference?
Also, it says you must set the "Dwell" before timing the boat; what is
that?

The procedure for setting idle and mix on the carb is very complex in
the manual. They say you have to be in the water to do it. In old cars
I would just set the mix about one turn rich of when the car started
to run rough and I'd set the idle based on the tach. Why can't you do
the same on a boat?

-Robert