garry crothers

Default Sizing Hydraulic Rams

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:QgkDb.4899$JD6.4249@lakeread04...
Doing a really rough vector analysis it appears that with the rudder
within 15º of midships there is very little difference in the turning
force between a single and a double cylinder setup but because one
cylinder is pushing out while the other is pulling in, the pressure on
the pintle is somewhat less. Not sure it is enough to justify a second
cylinder with the extra cost, hose and fittings though.

Not much to be gained in redundancy either. The most likely point of
failure is not the cylinders but the pump, hose and fittings.

Well, it would certainly make life a lot simpler if you reckon I could get
away with it.
I dont know much about hydraulics, hence the question, I will speak to
some of the suppliers for further opinions.

thanks again for your input

garry