Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Is Wilbur the only one here with real cruising experience?

On 2008-06-12 17:26:21 -0400, said:

a couple of Xan's sisters have done the Med and back on their own keels
(one twice) and I am in occasional contact with two doing some years in
the Caribbean.

The lift-keel version?

No, you're thinking of her big sister(s) (10.5 and/or 11.5) I'm told
they're a sweet ride, but haven't seen one. The 28 and same-hulled 8.5
are fixed at 4.2', which is fine for where we'd want to go.

Now, where Xan will really show the Coronado up is under sail. She
leaves them in her wake without even working hard. In a race, we'd have
to give them 20 seconds a mile.

Yeah but you know "real cruisers" don't care about that.

Sorry, but I started as a Laser racer and can't break the habit (addiction?).

What's funny is the number of boats that are claimed to be "faster than
XYZ" (giving name or type of boat widely recognized for performance) on
the basis that they passed one, once, years ago, when boat XYZ was
aground or being sailed by a rookie or just loafing along under reduced
sail.

That's why I compared PHRFs.

Truth be told, over 16 years, I know of exactly one 28 that did one
PHRF race, and that with blown-out sails. I expect a good crew with
modern sails could scoop up a bunch of easy silver until they got
re-rated.

I've got a pic on the pages of our knotmeter reading 7.4, nearly a knot
above "hull" speed, but not our top speed that day. For a while, we
were clocking over 8 on various points of sail, but we didn't get pics
because the guy with the camera was verifying the speed on the gps,
saying over and over that it was impossible, had to be mph or kph ;-)
Fun day. [Oh, and he determined that we're reading a bit low.]

Yeah, she's our "ugly duckling", "schoolbus with sails" or "pregnant
guppy", but she treats us well and seems to enjoy our stewardship.

She just considers hull speed a suggestion, not the law. And she's a show-off.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages: