Bob Bob is offline

Default Aggies Lost at Sea?

On Jun 12, 6:28*am, wrote:

Thanks Bob

No worries Fred. I simply did a search for "hydrostatic release" and
"liferaft" and copied the first thing that looked eye numbingly
technical. Sorry I didnt read it. I thought yould sink your teeth
into it hoping to find somthing to suport your continued cricisims...

Was it even appropreate to liferafts?

*I hope you smarten up and get a proper mount with a hydrostatic
release if you really sail at all offshore in the PNW for your epirb.
Mount it on your mast base aft if you do not have a better spot due to
flush decks. It is just plain dumb to keep an EPIRB below decks.

Yes I do have a flush fore deck

That depends on boat/area of operation/sea states

I can halfway understand keeping a liferaft in a soft pack in the
cockpit (not Below), if you can not afford a proper hard pack and rack
with a HRU.

Humm again, the boat does not really alow much in the cock pit. A guy
named Magnus Halvorsen designed it for sailing not for sipping limon
drops and knawing on burnt chcken thats raw on the inside from those
rediculus grills hung on the back of nearly every marina queen i see.

*What kind of boat do you have takes on so much green water that you
have secured items washing over?
Is that why you never post pictures of your boat? Is it a sunfish?

I have a Freya 39 built by gannon in 1979. there are a couple reason
for keeping below. but wont wast your time.
Never had a sunfish but paddled around a bay on an 8' orange poly dock
float. that was fun!

*Please note in this film there are liferafts that see plenty of blue
water washing over the cases, but none are washed over or trigger the
HRU's :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXuzy...eature=related

Racers........they seem a rather skilled lot.
Im not concerned about a premature hydro releast. unfortuanly my
little 39.3' boat is a bit smaller than that race thingy. each
situatoin requires a diffrent installation. I agree on deck is best
if............. but i dont so....... it goes below.

*Is it because your water is green and weighs more that you risk your
life and keep your EPIRB and liferaft below?

Yes, i thought eveyone nu about the electromagneic spectrum and the
specific gravity of green water compared to blue and brown in a
breaking wave hit. As I am sure you relize you mus apply the princple
of Partial Presure to a hydrostatic realease mechinism. Consider the
following formula (PP H2O x .445) / (64 lbs/cuft x sq root 14.7 moles)
( speed of 2.031 meter per second per meter sq) = Hydrostatic Release
Factor of 1.48

Do you plan on attending Liferaft school?

I am hurt. I thought you read every word I wrote
Yes, I did recieve my Lifeboatman and Proficiency in Survival Craft
(LB &PSC) certification.
And yes we got to row a boat around, Give Way All ...... Together.
the one I liked was Toss Oars. I was thinking of you every time I gave
the command Toss.

*Barking out oar commands on
a liferaft is pretty much a waste of time.

I have no reason to argue for the USCG. I suggest you direct your
comments to them.

Fred

Have fun fred. I think I need to do somthing today.....
Bob