Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Is Wilbur the only one here with real cruising experience?

On 2008-06-10 20:09:11 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Have been checking your site. Nice boat but not too well integrated in
the accommodation. Looks like it's sort of flimsy furniture-wise and I
had a good laugh at the picture of the engine that brags about the
access. Looks pretty cramped in there to me.

Was a tough pic to take, but everything aft of the doors is stowage,
tankage or engine. It echoes. You really have to see it to believe how
easy it is to access everything -- without taking anything apart or
removing panels. Morning checks are a 5-minute deal.

If you were a dedicated lone-hander

Don't want to be a lone-hander! That's what started this all.

you would modify the interior so it had two real sea berths

You didn't notice the "coffin berth" to starboard? Quite comfy on
either tack and you're not going to roll out. You also might have
missed how *comfy* the "V" is, with real foot-space for two and 6'8"
length. (I'm more interested the rack almost-always enjoyed.)

, a better galley,

Only used for coffee. In fact, since switched to a portable stove so I
could stay outside.

a decent chart table, more storage space for groceries,

Oh, you didn't notice how much stowage I have for groceries? -- two
deep shelves along most of the perimeter and caverns under all berths.

more water tankage and I sure hope those aren't opening ports in the v-berth.

Nope. Not needed.

And that unbalance rudder is sure to be way too much of a chore, especially
when close-hauled.

It's one-finger steering up through 20+ knots. (NACA 0012, with center
of lift 1" behind the pintles.)

That keel, I don't think I'd trust it in heavy weather. It looks to be
only about four inches thick where it connects to the hull. It's got to
be way overstressed in that area.

What you don't see is the flange above, MUCH wider. That thinness, btw,
improves the water flow right where it counts. You missed that the
keel's not NACA, but sorta slabby tapered.

The bulkhead repair looks to have been quite a job. Too bad they didn't
do it right in the first place.

That was my error in not fixing a persistent leak. Replacement pretty
easy, most of it done single-handed over a weekend. (and I varnished a
bunch of the furniture the same weekend.)

You won't find a Coronado 27, for example, with any of the shortcomings
I listed above.

snicker We saw some when we were doing "the search".

Too bad Capt. Neal took down his world famous mariner website. The
differences in quality between the Tanzer and the Coronado are readily
apparent.

You missed a *number* of points -- not unexpected as they're subtle,
such as the oak beam above the bulkhead and the longitudinal oak beam
above

The Coronado is an obvious offshore capable yacht while the Tanzer is a
near coastal week-ender. But, to each his own.

They're both rated near-coastal, though a couple of Xan's sisters have
done the Med and back on their own keels (one twice) and I am in
occasional contact with two doing some years in the Caribbean.

But coastal's fine for me for the foreseeable future, island-hopping
with a couple of 1-2 day legs between anchorages. I've no interest in
going outside of the east coast and Caribbean for a while, and there
are a bunch of places along that path we want to visit. Why rush,
bypassing all of them?

Now, where Xan will really show the Coronado up is under sail. She
leaves them in her wake without even working hard. In a race, we'd have
to give them 20 seconds a mile.

--
Jere Lull