Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Conventional wisdom

On 2008-06-10 11:59:06 -0400, " said:

On Jun 10, 3:31 am, jeff wrote:
I guess its time to repost this page:

http://www.cliffisland.com/boat.html

BTW, the boat is an early J-35 (fully cored), and apparently it had
grounded previously.

Yuck. It looks like the hull failed, not the ballast keel/sump joint.
I suspect the "outsideness" of the ballast was not a contributing
factor.

Internal or external, with construction that looks that light, repeated
groundings would have torn any keel off. The strips of glass look SO
thin!

We have bolted-on cast iron -- not my favorite material, but what we
have. The reinforced area that I can identify looks to be about 4-6
times that J's. It's about 8' long and an nearly 2' across. We've got
at least an inch of solid hand-laid glass in the three spots around the
keel I've drilled holes, and a good inch-plus of reinforcement that the
bolts go through. (Not sure of the material as it's at least
encapsulated and no one I know has had reason to investigate.)

--
Jere Lull