RichH RichH is offline

Default Conventional wisdom

"I haven't looked into it but my guess is that the time to
ductility exhaustion of the typical set of ss keel bolts would be on
the order of forever and a day. Cantilevers and sheer stress are
pretty well understood for bolts and beams. And, in the case of keels
where weight isn't generally a concern designers can be, and
generally
are, very conservative".

Ductility exhaustion? What are you doing drawing wire? Sorry but
once 300 series stainless gets loaded above its endurance limit it
typicallly only lasts approx 1 million load cycles - doesnt matter if
its rigging, keelbolts, chainplates. If the endurance load factor (at
about 30kpsi) is exceeded, 1 million cycles is about all you get
You bet that cantilever stress is well understood thats why bridges,
aircraft wings, etc. dont fall off. That sailboats constantly have to
have rigging replaced, on some - keels & rudder shafts, etc. keep
falling off ... would tell any prudent engineer/designer that
'something is wrong' in the 'typical design'.