William R. Watt

Default Marchaj fishing boat data?

I'm looking for the data gathered by C A Marchaj in wind tunnel
tests of sails for fishing boats (bermuda, lug, sprit, lateen,
crabclaw). I've searched the online catalogue of the Canadian
Institute for Scientific and Technical Information here in Ottawa,
and the University of Southampton website without success.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the data appears in any
of the publications below. I'm interested in what he found out
about sprit sails because I like to put them on my home made
boats. I'm half way through his "Sail Performance" on loan from
the Ottawa public library in which I found out about the
exsistence of the data. "Sail Performance" is heavy going but very
informative and does not use any math beyond basic geometry and
trigonometry.

thanks

1. "Planform Effect of a Number of Rigs on Sail Power", Proceedings
of Regional Conference on Sail-Motor Propulsion, Manila, November
1985 (result of a research programme funded by Overseas
Development Administration of British Government aimed at
improving performance and fuel economy of sailing fishing craft in
the developing world)

2. "The Comparison of Potential Driving Force of Various Rig Types
Used for Fishing Vessels", Proceedings of the Eigth Chesapeake
Sailing yacht Symposium, US Naval Academy, Annapolis, 1987

3.&4. "Design Factors Affecting Sail Power Based on Wind Tunnel Research
into Rigs used For Fishing Vessels, Part I", (1985) "Part II, (1987)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm