[email protected] 7seassinbad@gmail.com is offline

Default Proper watch standing?

On Jun 8, 2:26*pm, Bob wrote:
On Jun 8, 11:00*am, Gordon wrote:

* How else would you cross an ocean singlehanded if you don't sleep once
in a while?
* Gordon

Issure one 1) why would you want to be out there in a a sailboat that
flips over and stays turtle?

Ever hear of a keel falling off?

"...reported seeing a capsized sailboat..."

Issue 2) and why did nt the owner have an EPIRB packed in the life
raft? You know the kind, Nice small personal type.

Why not have one properly mounted in a self launching bracket they
were designed for? Perhaps he had a cheap-o one like you suggested and
it proved to be worthless unless an airplane happens to fly over.

Issue 3) Obviously lacked high water bilge alarm

Could have failed, float switch might have stuck. He might have had a
short in the 12 v system rendering the alarm and pumps usless.

Issue 4) SInce there was no crash I would bet the water got in through
a) stuffing box b) through hull valve/hose asymbly
c) possible transducer leak.

What about the board box? Under water dolphin viewing window seals?
Enough guesses you might get lucky.

But #2-3 are a result of stupidity.

It is stupid for you even to guess without examaning the boat and
talking to the owner. But I forgot, you a a bonafide lifeboatman
student so that makes you a leading marine expert right?

And I suspect #1 is stupidity also... who whould ever want an ocean
boat that did not right itself????

Having no other details but it being capsized it is stupid for you to
even guess why it turned turtle and did not right itself. If you had a
picture, of even a clue as to the type of boat you might be able to
make a guess. But I forgot, you attended dive school 40 years ago so
you are indeed a leading expert on turning turtle.

Fred

Bob