Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default Chartplotter Display Orientation

Anyway, it's less brainwork for me to treat it like a paper chart than to
constantly remind myself that it is reorienting. I'm sure it's different
for others and there's nothing wrong with using heading or course up

I agree. I find N-up preferrable, both on the water and in the car. The
wife likes Heading-up. Both systems allow easily making the swap.

For radar I only use Heading-up as it would be a bit more 'brainwork' to
make sense of it when in conditions that really required using radar. And
even in those situations I generally still keep a N-up chart visible in a
split screen view.

If I had to guess I'd say it has a lot to do with how people learn to
navigate. If you've spent a lot of time plotting courses using N-up maps
I'd think it would certainly affect your choice for chartplotter displays.

I wouldn't call either method right or wrong. It's a matter of personal
taste and if one mode allows you to navigate more reliably then, by all
means, stick with using it.