Evan Gatehouse

Default What again? Another thread on watermakers?

"Peter" Peter@ wrote in message

As work work quietens down, it's time to look at the next stage of the
fit out for "Hinewai" - the water system (Thanks for a great thread
back in September - v.useful in the planning stage).

But we'd welcome your thoughts on Water Makers.

"Hinewai" is a 44 steel ketch and most of the time there'll only be
Jean and I on board. However, for longer passages, we'd plan on
having a couple of helpers so we're allowing for 4 persons on board.

We're allowing for passage water use of 5 gallons (25ltr) per day per
person - say 100ltr per day. We carry c. 500 ltr of water in the
tanks.

That's a LOT of water per day. Typically while cruising we would use 2
gal/person/day. This does not include extra water for washing clothes
(about 15 gallons required for hand washing 2 people's clothing in tropics
after 2 weeks).

2 gal/person/day would be enough for a fresh water shower every 2-3 days and
a fresh water rinse every day after swimming.

If you have the budget Spectra is the better option.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)