Peter S/Y Anicula

Default Which teak seam calk?

For what it is worth:
I'l support: Awoid silicone and use tape.

With all the efford you have put into the project, don't try to save a penny
on this one.

(I'm no expert but I am going to re-chauck my deck this winter, so the
subject definitly has my interest)

Peter

"Steve Lusardi" skrev i en meddelelse
Glenn,
I would stay away from any silicone product because, once you use it, you
will never be able to use anything else. It maybe very good, but the
financial risk if it fails is very high. A very useful tip is to use tape

on
the bottom of every seam. This will prevent the calk from being peeled of
the sides when expansion and contraction occurs. That is the most common
cause of calk failure. You know polysulfide works, why take the risk? When

did my deck I used 242 tubes and I had to load each one, a real PITA.

Today,
most of the polysulfide makers offer their product in sausages that load
into pneumatic guns. This is the only way to go. These guns are expensive,
but the time and product savings is amazing. The thin plastic wrapper
prevents the polysulfide from air exposure until it exits the nozzle. As a
point to note, moisture exposure causes the cure. Don't even think about
doing this in anything but the driest conditions. Good luck!
Steve