Jim Conlin

Default Which teak seam calk?

Glenn, in addition to recommendation by the boatyards in these parts, I got a
recommendation for the TDS product from the US tech support guy from Sika.
Sika stopped importing a product for this application. The TDS product
didn't seem to be as messy as the polysulfide goos. When sanded you get
crumbs.

One option I don't recommend is graphite in epoxy. The dust stains the teak.

Jim

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Rutu' teak decking will have about 1,100 lineal feet of seams. Based on
the manufacturers' coverage figures that will require 4 gallons or 60
cartriges of caulk.

The candidates with estimated cost for Rutu's decks a
Detco - 2 part polysulfide & primer + cartriges - $580
Boatlife - 2 part Polysulfide & primer + cartriges $540
Maritime Wood Products - one part oxime silicone - $510
Teak Decking Systems SIS 440 - one part silicone - $450

I am leaning strongly towards the silicones because there is no mixing
or cartrige filling and you can stop at the end of a cartrige without
wasting the rest of the gallon. Both silicones seem to be highly
recommended with the TDS product getting the most mentions.

Does anyone have experience with either?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com