JP

Default waterproof shaft seal?

"Paul" wrote in message
news:PxVwb.309584$Fm2.326329@attbi_s04...
http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=pss_shaft_seal&sn=4

"MBS" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to waterproof a small electric motor (submerged) so that
shaft will be sticking out of waterproof enclosure. Can anyone point
me to a source of water sealed bushings or bearings for this sort of
application? I have been looking all over the net and can't seem to
come up with ideas or supplies to do this. The shaft size will be =
1/4"

Thanks!
Bailey--

Just an idea...

Would it not be possible to submerge the whole electric motor unit in a kind
of container completely filled with a nonconductive (non toxic) oil. If e.g.
the container is kept upright with the shaft protruding downwards and the
oil being lighter than water, it seems to me that the motor could be safely
operated without expensive water sealed bearings and/or bushings. As the
container would remain opened to the surrounding water, the hydrostatic
pressure inside and outside would be equal. Fluids can not easily be
compressed so this unit could be used in any depth of water with only a
lightweight protective container and a closely fitting shaft-tube leaving a
small enough opening for pressure compensation but too small to allow the
spilling of the oil when tilted. The only setback would be that the motor
could only be tilted a little less than 90° from the upright position and
that the internal turbulence caused by the rotor (at higher rpm) would
certainly slow down the motor (depending on the construction of the motor).
With this system one could easily insulate the motor completely from the
container/vessel. (No maintenance, no galvanic effects)

JP