Backyard Renegade

Default tarp repair glue?

Gregg Germain wrote in message ...
Keith wrote:
: ... and will pull apart with very little stress. Polyethylene is notorious
: for having a surface that nothing will stick to. You can heat weld it, but
: it's beyond most non-commercial applications. It takes specific heat,
: pressure and dwell times, done either by bar sealers or "doughboy"
: continuous band sealers. You can try any glue you want, but I can tell you
: from years in R&D in the plastics industry, there is nothing that will work
: well with PE. Best bet are those tapes mentioned earlier, used on both
: sides. Duct tape will for for a few weeks, but weather and UV will tear it
: up pretty fast. Really... those blue poly tarps cost what... $5-15? Replace
: it if it's gone!

It all it was, was a blue poly tarp I would just replace it.

But it is not. It's a 33 foot by 20 foot piece of 6 mil clear poly
that I use as a roof on my boat shelter. It works great as a
"greenhouse", and to be honest, I dont' feel like replacing it because
of one tear. But if I don't deal with the tear, it will get larger.

Gregg

Try some weathershield clear tape available at Walmart, the stuff you
get in the winter insulation isle. It looks like packing tape, but it
is not the same, it is stretchy a little so it gives and holds real
nice. We use it to repair plastic weather sheeting all the time, it
holds up as long as the plastic if done properly. Put a layer on each
side of plastic, along the tear.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com