Glenn Ashmore

Default tarp repair glue?

Do a search on "Greenhouse coverings".

What I used is Tufflite IV made by Tyco plastics. I got it from Parks
Seed but they are wholesale only. Search for Tufflite or AT Plastics
Dura-film. It is not cheap. 20' wide cut lengths of Tufflite are about
$2/foot and a 100' roll of Dura-film is about $150.00. Maybe someone
else here with a long term project will split a roll with you.

If it has only been up a month you may as well duct tape it closed and
wait until next year. Better yet is Poly-patch, a tape made for
patching poly greenhouse film. The patch will last longer than your
cover. Try B&T Growers supply. They have 2" wide rolls for about
$10.00. Thye also have Dura-film.

http://www.growersupply.com/polypatch.html

Gregg Germain wrote:
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
: How long has it been up?

1 month.

Regular 6 mil poly is not going to last more

: than 6 months to a year in the sunlight.

It's not like this is the first time I've done this:

I've gotten pretty good lifetimes out of this stuff in thw
past. This is because in the winter what sun we do get is low angle.

And in the summer, I cover the clear plastic with a white tarp to
reflect the sun off the shelter/boat. So the harsh summer sun is not a
factor in breakdown of the clear plastic tarp.

However, as I wrote in another note, the production qualityof this
stuff has fallen off severely. So I might be interested in a substitute.

:Any repairs on old sheets is
: wasted effort. I suffered with it for a couple of years and then went
: to real greenhouse film. It has been up for over 3 years now and is
: still just as strong as new. It cost about 3 times as much as regular
: builders 6 mil poly but it will last 4 or 5 times as long and you are
: not faced with the hassles of replacing it.

Ah ok I'm interested in this. Who sells it? Is "Greenhouse film" the
actual name? Shoudl I use that for a google search?

thanks!

--- Gregg
"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics