Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Suggest A Sail Plan for the Chesapeake [Long]

On 2008-05-28 11:55:41 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

We have the whole summer (except ...) to sail around in the Chesapeake.
I have some ideas about where to go, but maybe there's stuff I haven't
thought of.

The Gunkholer's guide covers anything I would say.

Wherever you are, study the section(s) in the direction(s) you might
want to go. There are gobs of great places just a bit off the tracks
you listed.

For instance, I see Rock Hall, but not Swan's creek; the Corsica, but

Actually, I think we were anchored in Swan's Creek. We haven't
actually been to Rock Hall - we had to get fuel and get a pumpout
because the one in Baltimore was broken, so we stopped at a marina
Gratitute for fuel and anchored over past that.

We stopped in the Corsica because we couldn't get into Queenstown, and
we went to Chestertown because we were out of food. We had to eat hot
dogs with no buns or mustard. The reason we had wanted to get into
Queenstown was to get groceries.

not Lankford right across the Chester. You HAVE to spend a couple of
days on the Wye. That vies with the Sassafras as Chesapeake Bay mag's
readers' choice for prettiest river on the Bay, far better than the
slog up to Chestertown.

I could go on for pages. Thankfully, I don't have to.

We do have the Gunkholer's guide. And use it. But I had not thought
of just staying in one river. That's a good idea. That's giving me
lots of ideas - we have been all up and down the Patuxent, but we
haven't done much in the Potomac.

Mostly we travel longer distances because Bob likes to actually sail
all day and we'd rather eat in a restaurant rather than cook dinner so
that means a marina rather than anchoring..

Has anyone done any cruising in the Honga? There didn't seem to be
much there unless your boat is a shallower draft than ours. (Ours is
bout 5 feet)