Gregg Germain

Default tarp repair glue?

Keith wrote:
: ... and will pull apart with very little stress. Polyethylene is notorious
: for having a surface that nothing will stick to. You can heat weld it, but
: it's beyond most non-commercial applications. It takes specific heat,
: pressure and dwell times, done either by bar sealers or "doughboy"
: continuous band sealers. You can try any glue you want, but I can tell you
: from years in R&D in the plastics industry, there is nothing that will work
: well with PE. Best bet are those tapes mentioned earlier, used on both
: sides. Duct tape will for for a few weeks, but weather and UV will tear it
: up pretty fast. Really... those blue poly tarps cost what... $5-15? Replace
: it if it's gone!

It all it was, was a blue poly tarp I would just replace it.

But it is not. It's a 33 foot by 20 foot piece of 6 mil clear poly
that I use as a roof on my boat shelter. It works great as a
"greenhouse", and to be honest, I dont' feel like replacing it because
of one tear. But if I don't deal with the tear, it will get larger.

Gregg