Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default mottled plastic screen on electronic equipment

On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:31:24 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:19:57 -0700, JR North
wrote:

Effect of acid rain. Really. Had a Toyota Corolla once; the car's
glass was exactly the same. Came from LA area.

Minor nitpick.
Actually acids do not attack glass. Alkaline solutions will. There are
lots of things in the rain besides the nitric and sulfuric acids, and
I am not saying it wasn't the rain, just that it wasn't an acid. The
acids are highly soluble and won't form a deposit on the surface.

Casady

Depends on the acid. Fluorine acid (hydofluuric acid) is what is used to
make frosted glass lightbulbs.

No chance of finding a detectable ammount in rain. I had heard of
hydroflouric acid, but I thought it was irrelevant. The other zillion
acids do not affect glass.

Casady