Glenn Ashmore

Default inventing a different kind of fresh water engine flush (info)

C. Sadler wrote:

From the Mercrusier installation/operation manual (these are 1998
engines)
WARNING: Do not use the flush fitting if you have a water lift muffler
system.

My assumption is that you must have the engine running to create a
lift with the exhaust. If you do not run the engine, as these fittings
were designed, you will fill the muffler, and water will back into the
engine. If I run the engine, I will simply be mixing more salt water
in with the fresh.

Are you aware of a kit specifically designed for water lifts? I'm
guessing that it would be replacing the water flow at the intake of
the raw water pump, either through strainer adapter fittings (hose
fittings on the sea strainer lids), or some other way of injecting
fresh water in place of salt.

I'm skeptical that a garden hose can flow 10 gallons a minute at 10psi
from a 5/8" hose to a 1.25" hose. (and that's at 900 RPM). Am I being
over cautious?

A 5/8" garden hose will deliver about 10 GPM at a pressure drop of 6 PSI
so with the engine pump pulling and the water system pushing you should
be pretty safe.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com