Alec Alec is offline

Default Refrigerator Choices

In the UK you can get an ELECTROLUX fridge for boats and rvs which will
operate on 12v, 230v or gas. I had one on my last boat and it worked well
even in the Med. I would have another anytime. They consume about 10 Amps on
12v but use very little gas. A 10 lb cylinder will last at least 2 weeks. I
ran mine on 230v in the marina and on gas when at anchor. The rocking of the
boat had no adverse effect on operation, but a long term tilt when motoring
did stop the cooling operating.

They do need a flue but the latest ones have a balanced flue.

Alec

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
ews.com...

"Richard Kollmann" wrote in message
big snip

I am interested in your comments.

You forgot to mention the propane units. Dometic does a good business
selling propane units to the RV market. They seem to work really well even
in hot environments and they don't seem to use excessive amounts of
propane. A 20 pound tank runs their fridge for a couple of weeks according
to one RVer I know.

Some say they don't work too well on boats because they must remain on the
level but most boaters these days stay put much more than they actually
sail. I knew one cruising sailor who used a propane fridge and had the
burner part gimbaled so it would work even when heeled. He ran everything
off propane. Heater, Air Conditioning, Barbeque, fridge, water heater,
etc. He didn't notice it because he was used to it, I guess but there was
a propane smell about his boat. (I know propane doesn't smell but there's
a chemical added to make it smell.

Wilbur Hubbard