posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

Default AUTOHELM 7000 PROBLEM

"Jerry" wrote in message
| My autopilot switched from AUTO to STANDBY while out at sea. There was
| an alrm sound but in the past when there was a problem, I would get a
| message that said NO LINK or MOTOR STOPPED. There was no response to
| pushing the AUTO button. After turning the power on and off a few
| times, I was able to get it to go back into AUTO but only for about 5
| minutes when it returned to STANDBY.
|
| After anchoring for a night with the power to the autopilot off, it
| went into AUTO with no problem after turning on the power.
|
| I did all the obvious checks for bad or loose connections but found
| nothing wrong.
|
| I am reluctant to take it out to sea on a long cruise for fear that I
| might end up stearing by hand for a few days if it happens again.
|
| I am curious to know if anyone has had a similar problem.

I've had the same problem with the Raymarine course computer type 100 for
several years. It only occurred very occasionally, maybe once every 4 hours
with constant auto pilot use.
The worst thing was not knowing that it happened. Suddenly the boat would
turn at top speed when the clutch disengaged (solenoid for hydrolic pump
valve in our case), as a result of going into stanby mode. No alarm, no
warning whatsoever. The standard answer that Raymarine support gives is that
the voltage must have dropped below the threshold (10V I believe).We had
full batteries as we were motoring. However, it has happened both while
motering and under sail. In attemps to get to the bottom of the problem I
have even connected a data logger to constantly monitor voltage. All
connections checked numerous times. To no avail. I'm convinced it was an AP
error. Maybe the internal A/D converter used for checking the V-level on
insufficient averaging in the firmware, who knows?

I ended up making a separate AP alarm. When the AP is put in Auto or track
mode, we flick the switch to arm the alarm at the same time. The alarm
starts shreeking when a small normally closed relays, connected in parallel
with the solenoid valve, loses power, for whatever reason. Even if the
Standby button is pressed accidently.

After another, non-related fault that could not be repaired I've given up on
the Raymarine AP and I have now installed a Northstar/Navman G-pilot with
gyro. It is the best AP I've ever owned or used and the price is half that
of the equivalent Raymarine. A number of profiles can be programmed for
different sea conditions. It holds course much better than the Raymarine,
even with a following sea. Fortunately the hydrolic pump and ram of the
Raymarine could be used and it is integrated nicely with the Seatalk
instruments and computer. As a bonus, the auto pilot outputs a 10Hz NMEA
fast heading which is great for the Pathfinder radar.

I have left the separate alarm I made for the Ray AP in tact, because I
think it is a good idea anyway to get a warning when the clutch disengages
unintentionally. The alarm has been going off only for testing since
installation of the new AP.

Wout