Larry Larry is offline

Default AIS again

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in
:

I think I have mentioned this before, but it is not at all certain
that Class B AIS will ever be approved in the US. Perhaps Larry has a
better insight to this, but that's the rumor I keep hearing. My
position is that if you think you need AIS, Class B makes no sense at
all. Class A gear is not that much more and is much better plus Class
A is approved everywhere and although discouraged for yacht use, it is
not prohibited. Steve

I've been told the commercial shipping interests are trying their best to
keep all the non-compulsory boats off the AIS system, what there is of it
in the technology backwater the USA has become. I think this is why all
the footdragging is going on at the FCC and USCG. They don't WANT to see
your 40' sloop on their AIS displays.

Of course, they'd rather you never left the dock, either....(c;