Larry Larry is offline

Default AIS again

" wrote in news:29390dea-fb19-4e8c-
:

Yes, we're in the Bay Area right now. Planning to go to Mexico in the
autumn and the rest of the S. CA coast in between now and then.

-- Tom.

Very nice!

These cheap AIS transponders are, most of them, still awaiting FCC
approval for US sales. I don't know what would happen if you were a US
Flag vessel and had an unapproved unit transmitting aboard, but I suspect
it wouldn't be cheap if FCC found out, assuming you have a Ship Station
License, of course.

The USA is dragging its collective ass very hard on AIS because it's a
European invention forced upon them by the ITU by the other nations.
There's still no real CG response to AIS and I don't think any fixed
station AIS installations I know of in the USA to put emergencies, notice
to mariners, etc., which all should be broadcast from every harbor in the
country.

It's really too bad, too, as the whole marine community would benefit
from seeing the REAL location of all those bouys they moved because of
the sand bar shifting last month.....instead of the useless charts which
never get updated for years. An AIS shore installation could be sending
you the exact location of every hazard and all changes to navigation you
need to know about in the area.....but they don't. How stupid.