[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default AIS again

On May 25, 12:28 pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Tom,
I'm not sure what the B has, but the point I am making is the A is approved
the B is not. The A transmits 25 watts the B 5. The A has its own dedicated
GPS. I don't know if the B does as well. Just because the A can xmit those
data items that are related to large vessels, does not mean you have to
include them. I believe it is also possible to xmit at slower time intervals
as well, but I will have to check the manual. I bought a new demo model
Simrad A for $1200 lst year on eBay.
Steve

Thanks. All good points and that price is in w/in my pain threshold.
For us low power use is a major so 5w every 15 seconds is going to be
better than 25w every 10. A bit more googling has brought up the
possibility that B units might not be received by some older AIS's or
might be filtered out. Also, B seems stalled at the FCC... Which
leaves me thinking of spending say $800 on a receive only system, or
~3.5K list for an A system (plus power issues) or seeking out a deal
on eBay... The mind boggles. But thanks again for the input.

-- Tom.