[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default AIS again

On May 24, 10:27 pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
My position is that if
you think you need AIS, Class B makes no sense at all. Class A gear is not
that much more and is much better plus Class A is approved everywhere and
although discouraged for yacht use, it is not prohibited.

Steve,

If you're right about the FCC approval the question is moot. Still,
class B gear looks ideal to me. What does A do that B doesn't? I've
looked at some web pages but don't really have a great understanding
of the differences. Assuming the chart on this page (http://
www.shinemicro.com/AISoverview.asp) is right B looks ideal for small
boats. The cost is rumored to be 1/3 that of A which seems
significant, too.

-- Tom.