stevej

Default Anyone want an apprentice for free?

Why don't ya just try to build a boat without any training?
There are so many ways to build a boat that you'll never learn them all.
I believe everyone who contributes to this NG is always learning and
for the most part it is done through talking, reading, observing and
trying things out. Some are engineers and nautical architects and some
are artists. A few are boatbuilders.
Just build a small boat first. A very small boat. Use your INSTINCTS,
and don't be afraid to make a lot of mistakes. Each mistake is a
learning opportunity. Don't worry about it not being done correctly.
There is not one correct way to build a wooden boat. Every culture
has its own unique history of wooden boat building and this is one of
the things that makes it so interesting.
If you lack the confidence to start from scratch, buy a kit, like a
stitch and glue kayak, and put it together. In the process you will
learn a lot about plywood, epoxy, paint, and how to follow written
instructions.
You wrote about the "principles" of building a wooden boat and that you
were unable to get this out of books. What books have you read?
There are some really bad boat building books out there and some really
good ones.
Have you read Chapelle's BoatBuilding? Thomas Hill's Ultralight
Boatbuilding? The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction? Skenes Elements
of Yacht Design? George Buehlers Backyard BoatBuilding? Slocum's Sailing
Alone Around the World? Have you read back issues of WoodenBoat
magazine? The list goes on. All are required reading.
Visualize what you want to build. Draw it. Compare it to other designs.
How is it different? How is it the same?
Do research on traditional boats by looking in the library.
Then....the hard part...find a piece if wood and begin the project.
If it fails, try again.

Zyana ~ Beu Ribe wrote:
Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Tampa area who would be willing to teach me how to
build wooden boats with them hands-on? Individual or business?

I've wanted to know the principles of building a wooden boat for 2 years,
but just can't get it out of a book. I've got an idea for a boat design
that isn't even seen in the Tampa area.

I just want to learn. I'm not out to learn and then compete with my
teacher.

Anyone want some help for free? You'd have to teach me, though.

Thanks, All,

Sandra