[email protected] PhantMan@nospam.invalid is offline

Default House Committee Passes Clean Boating Act of 2008

On Thu, 22 May 08, "claus" said:
House Committee Passes Clean Boating Act of 2008, Moves Bill to Full House
for Consideration
Time running out for America's boaters; NMMA continues call for action

On 22 May 08, Dave wrote:
I haven't read the case referred to in the article. But if the summary is
accurate and the case related only to ballast water from commercial vessels,
then this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot. Anything the court said
relating to recreational vessels would be what lawyers call
"dicta"--language having no value whatever as precedent.

My understanding is that the precedent set by the Court has a LOT of
value backed up by aurthority. Which is why this act is needed.
But there is certainly no cause for alarm here. And for anyone not
interested in reading the whole article, here are just some snippets
from the first three paragraphs.

First paragraph snippet: The National Marine Manufacturers Association
(NMMA) today applauded the House Transportation & Infrastructure
Committee (T&I) for approving commonsense legislation

Second paragraph snippet: The Clean Boating Act is a bipartisan, good
government solution to a looming administrative and legal crisis for
boaters across America,

Third paragraph snippet: NMMA also wishes to thank Rep. Gene Taylor of
Mississippi, Co-Chair of the House Boating Caucus, who along with Rep.
Miller brought us to this important point by introducing and
advocating tirelessly for H.R. 2550, the Recreational Boating Act of
2007,” added Gudes. “H.R. 2550, which accumulated nearly 100
bipartisan cosponsors, was absolutely crucial, and Congressman Taylor
is to be commended.

Gene Taylor is my representative and I voted for the guy based mainly
on the fact that he's a life long sailor and recreational boater.
Doesn't surprise me that he was on top of this issue.
The headlines seem as though there's cause for alarm here but in fact,
the reverse is true.

Rick