posted to rec.boats.building
dazed and confuzzed dazed and confuzzed is offline

Default Structural folds or creases - Aluminum

Sal's Dad wrote:
All those integral shapes provide rigidity in very light sheet material.
These boats are typically riveted, or welded in extremely controlled
environments.

For a homebuilt, you will probably weld, using much thicker material; I
understand that most welders can do good work in 3/16 plate, the talented in
1/8, and only very very expert can weld material lighter than that with much
success.

Bull****. I am a mediocre welder, and I can weld .062 all day with no
issues. A good welder can do thinner than that.

THere is no mystery in welding aluminum. It just takes practice and a
decent welder.

These thicker plates require less framing or complex bending than the thin
material.

For a full discussion, take a look at Pollard's Boatbuilding with Aluminum:
http://www.amazon.com/Boatbuilding-A.../dp/0070504261

Have fun!
Sal's Dad

I have noticed a lot of them will have 'V's
folded or stamped into the hull along the length for strength. I don't
see
anyway that a backyard builder could do this practically. Would a home
built aluminum just be built with a structural frame with pieces going in
both directions like a wood boat?

They may allso be there to help longnitudnal stability or for spray
control.

A V mounted above the water line sweeping with the lines of the hull is
almost always there for spray control. I think they even call it a spray
rail.

You can get the strenghth by rivetting or welding on
stringers made from aluminum angle.on the inside or bend some flat
stock 3 times to make a V shaped piece. that could go on the inside or
outside of the hull.

--
“TANSTAAFL”

America: Ironically, the safest place to be anti-American.
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3