Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Replacement alternator for Yanmar 1GM diesel?

On Wed, 21 May 2008 00:00:43 +0300, Elias Aarnio
wrote:

kirjoitti:

To be exact a higher amp one does not take more engine power unless it
is called on to deliver more current. I'm assuming the op has a
reason he wants more current like a multiple battery installation. If
not then there is no reason to go to a larger amp one.

Bingo. I forgot to say that I have a 60 Ah battery for cranking the
diesel and 2 x 80Ah for other use.

A 35A alternator is not really sufficient for this much batteries to be
charged.

If you charge at fifteen per cent of capacity per hour, it will take
33 amps. Cutting it too fine with a 35 amp alternator. The 20 hr rate
is 11 amps. It is sufficient unless you want to abuse them by charging
them too fast.

Casady