posted to rec.boats.electronics
Big Al[_2_] Big Al[_2_] is offline

Default Raymarine ST4000 calibration

On 21 May, 03:15, Bil wrote:
Al: Hi!

I quickly searched the ST4000 Operating & Installation manuals
available on the Net. V interesting. Looks like the firmware has
changed over time. Not all ST4000s have dealer calibration mode. And
the procedures for accessing Compass Calibration differ too.

Do you have the paper O & I manual for your ST4000 unit?

If not a quick search of the net should show at least three versions
(not all in English) with minor differences due to those changes in
firmware.

Those minor differences include differences in accessing the
calibration modes. Those differences render my earlier post useless.

In some versions, to get to compass calibration mode you need to press
and hold Standby for 2 seconds (to see the firmware version number),
then press Disp to work through the compass calibration routines
(heading alignment and vessel swinging). And in those versions,
standard user calibration has a three-fold entry process that involves
(1) pressing and holding Standby for 2 seconds, then (2) pressing and
holding Standby for 4 seconds; and finally (3) pressing and holding
Standby for 14 seconds.

Perhaps no one can offer generic instructions to cover all ST4000
versions? You might need the O & I manual for your specific firmware
version?

Cheers

Hi Bil
Thanks for the responses.
I will try and resite the fluxgate compass as it is probably too near
the keels, and hopefully that will help, however main problem is
getting into calibration mode.
Interesting to know there may be dealer calibration mode, although it
is not described in my manual. I know that the unit was fitted with a
new pcb some time ago beacause it got damp. Maybe dealer has not
programmed correctly?
In exasperation I have turned Cal Off (by pressing -1 and standby for
10 seconds), then when I press and hold standby, after 1 second the
unit cheerfully tells me 'Cal Off', so that works OK. When I switch it
to 'Cal On', the display stays as it is, until after 10 seconds it
changes to the mysterious 'P12'. Incidentally, although the display
does not change, it beeps after 1 second, then again after 5 seconds.
All other functions seem to work OK, such as tacking to port/
starboard.
I'm sure the 'P12' message means something, but what...

Cheers,
Al