Steve

Default paint system for metal boat

I don't have a steel hull boat but have worked in ship and boat yard.

You are correct about the knowledge and abilities of most boat yards. I
recommend that you find a boat yard that works primarily with commercial
vessels but can handle a pleasure boat..

You don't mention what region you are in.. My experience has been on the
west coast and So. Calif. If your in that region I could recomend a good
yard and a paint system..

The boat yard I recommend is South Bay Boat Yard in San Diego and my
preference is with Pro Line paint systems and especially the technical
support of their commercial sales staff.. If you get a yard that is willing
to work with you and the Pro Line paint system, your problem is solved..

The yard will arrange for the sandblasting to be done by a experienced sub
contractor.. The paint vendor will specify the surface condition,
humidity/temp. conditions, etc. While the paint is being applied, they may
even check the mil thickness between coats.. The paint vendor and the yard
applying it have a vested interest in seeing to it that all is done
properly..

You may find that the yard has a different perference on the paint brand.
Just make sure that you will be getting this type of 'hands on' technical
support and above all a guarantee on the final work..

Good luck.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions