[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default Replacement alternator for Yanmar 1GM diesel?

On May 20, 9:09*am, Tim wrote:
On May 20, 2:06*am, Elias Aarnio wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a more efficient alternator for an old Yanmar 1GM
marine diesel. The original is 35 amp and I want to have something
between 50 and 60 amps. There is a bunch of webshops selling
replacements but they are all 35 or 40 amp alternators.

Does anyone happen to know a suitable replacement, a car alternator for
example? The best solution would be an alternator that also has the
sense-terminal for voltage control.

--
EliasA

Elias, what ared you wanting to do?

"Efficient" ? Your lower amp alt. will produce less drag on your
engine, a higher amp takes more engine hp, to pull itself to amke more
power.

The Yanmars have may different types of alternators depending on the
application. *if you can come up with a make and alternator number it
would help.

now comes the question of a battery sense terminal for voltage
control? are you wanting a system to adjust the voltage manually?

Waht is your total application and what do you want to do with it?

it helps to know....

To be exact a higher amp one does not take more engine power unless it
is called on to deliver more current. I'm assuming the op has a
reason he wants more current like a multiple battery installation. If
not then there is no reason to go to a larger amp one.