posted to rec.boats.building
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Structural folds or creases - Aluminum

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:34:18 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I have been looking at aluminum boats for the last couple years now with
an
eye towards how they are built. I have noticed a lot of them will have
'V's
folded or stamped into the hull along the length for strength. I don't
see
anyway that a backyard builder could do this practically. Would a home
built aluminum just be built with a structural frame with pieces going in
both directions like a wood boat?

They may allso be there to help longnitudnal stability or for spray
control.

A V mounted above the water line sweeping with the lines of the hull is
almost always there for spray control. I think they even call it a spray
rail.

You can get the strenghth by rivetting or welding on
stringers made from aluminum angle.on the inside or bend some flat
stock 3 times to make a V shaped piece. that could go on the inside or
outside of the hull.

Yeah, that's basically what I figured

Bob La Londe
www.yumabassman.com