posted to rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish Drew Dalgleish is offline

Default Structural folds or creases - Aluminum

On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:34:18 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I have been looking at aluminum boats for the last couple years now with an
eye towards how they are built. I have noticed a lot of them will have 'V's
folded or stamped into the hull along the length for strength. I don't see
anyway that a backyard builder could do this practically. Would a home
built aluminum just be built with a structural frame with pieces going in
both directions like a wood boat?

They may allso be there to help longnitudnal stability or for spray
control. You can get the strenghth by rivetting or welding on
stringers made from aluminum angle.on the inside or bend some flat
stock 3 times to make a V shaped piece. that could go on the inside or
outside of the hull.