Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default The Suzuki DF2.5 HP Has Arrived! (And the cooling system is working!)

On Sat, 17 May 2008 22:13:49 -0500, lid wrote:

The "bizarre" part, is, when nothing is being discharged, how are you
supposed to KNOW the water pump is working? THAT's what I would ask
the mechanic. Surely you're not supposed to go through that whole
"water pump check" routine every time it stops discharging if that's
supposed to happen intermittantly during normal operation. All I'm
saying is that would make no sense. Not that anything is wrong with
your water pump at the moment. But if you're getting no pilot hole
stream..... how are you supposed to know before the thing overheats?

Not knowing anything about OB cooling systems, a couple questions.
1. If the OB has a thermostat, can it be fully closed?
2. With the OB's you are familiar with, can the engine overheat even
when the pee hole has a stream?
I'm thinking Jay's new OB is designed to discharge all cooling water
through the thermostat, and if it's shut, no stream.
Electronic controls might make that a good way to manage engine
efficiency. It might also have an overheat shutdown.
Though I know OB owners basically worship that peehole stream as the
Holy Grail of engine heat control, it may not so important with this
small engine.
Yeah, I know,
"Paragraph 2.."CAUTION Never operate your outboard
motor when there is no water coming out of the pilot water holes or
severe damage can result".

So it is contradictory. Might have cribbed that from the manual of a
bigger engine. In any case bad manual writing.
And if it doesn't shut down automatically when overheated, a bit
of a dangerous system.

--Vic