Keith

Default Safety glass for boat windows

"Safety glass" is laminated, and is used in all automobile windshields.
Tempered glass is the stuff that breaks into a million small pieces on heavy
impact, and is used in side and back glasses in autos. Safety glass is
stocked and can be cut at pretty much any glass shop. Tempered has to be cut
to size, then sent to a tempering company for treatment.

Safety glass is used in lots of boats. One of the best things you can put
in, is a sandwich of two sheets of tempered glass laminated like safety
glass. If it DOES break, the lamination keeps all the pieces together. If
anyone is interested, I can post a source, but be forewarned, it's
EXPENSIVE!

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Ron Thornton" writes:

snip
Any reason why I wouldn't want to use auto glass in a boat?

snip

Possibly might be a problem.

Most auto safety glass will shatter into small pieces when hit, leaving a
major hole if used on a boat.

OTOH, laminated safety glass, while abandoned years ago for automobiles,
would simply crack when hit.

Might be some sharp shards of glass on the deck, but no major hole for

water
to enter.

Talk to somebody in the glass business.

HTH

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures