Jay[_3_] Jay[_3_] is offline

Default The Suzuki DF2.5 HP Has Arrived!

On May 17, 4:21*am, wrote:
I just checked, and can't find the owners manual for your outboard on the Suzuki
website. It sounds odd that there would be 2 tell tales. Very odd. I'd really
double check that in the manual.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's where I got it from...the Suzuki owner's manual, complete
with a diagram showing two streams of water squirting out of the pilot
holes. (Page 21 of manual). On that page, under "cooling water check"
it states, "Cooling water is intermittently discharged from the pilot
water holes at medium engine speeds. Water is not normally discharged
at other speeds even when the engine is operating properly. However,
cooling system operation can be confirmed as follows:

1---Place the shift selector lever in the neutral position with the
motor idling.

2---Increase and decrease the engine speed five or six times in
succession by opening and closing the throttle smoothly and without
stopping in any one throttle position.

3---If water is discharged from the pilot water holes under this
operating condition, the cooling system is working properly. If water
is not discharged, stop the engine as soon as possible and consult
your authorized Suzuki Marine dealer.

It then states: CAUTION Never operate your outboard motor when there
is no water coming out of the pilot water holes or severe damage can
result. Before setting off, be sure that emergency stop switch
operates properly.

You have now read exactly the same thing as I have read since I lifted
it word-for-word from the official owner's manual for the Suzuki DF2.5
outboard motor. The Suzuki owner's manual is part #99011-97J02-03B.

-Jay

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The tell tale does not completely guarantee
that the engine is being cooled, but it does show that the pump is at least
working and sending water up as far as the tell-tale. If the water passages in
the engine itself are blocked, the tell tale will actually pee HARDER. If the
pump is allowed to run while dry, the impeller is damaged or destroyed within
seconds, as in less than a minute. If I owned a motor that either was started
for just an instant without the leg in water, or saw no water from the tell tale
after a couple of seconds, I would automatically replace the impeller without
any further debate. I carry a spare impeller or two on the mothership at all
times. They are a lot less expensive than a motor rebuild or replacement.

You should plan on replacing the impeller every other season regardless of
anything else, including whether the motor was even used or not. It's not a hard
job, but it's an important bit of maintenance.- Hide quoted text -