Meindert Sprang

Default time between 3 layers of glass/epoxy??

"RG" wrote in message
.. .
I may have to lay up three layers of epoxy/glass. I think I remember that
one should not let 24 hours go between layers. If 24 hours goes by ( or
maybe some other relatively short time frame) then 'each layer must be
sanded, due to "waxing"...????

The reason for this is not the amine blush ("waxing"), which has to me
removed anyway, but the possibility to create a chemical bond. If you wait
too long, the epoxy is cured completely and thus inert to new epoxy. Then
you have to sand it to create enough 'bite' for the new layer to hold. If
you apply the new coat/layer within a day (if I remember correctly,
otherwise see the mfg. spec) , the new coat will bond at molecular or
chemical level with the previous layer and thus producing a much stronger
result.

Meindert